Space heater apparently started Pepperell barn fire early Tuesday

Jewett Street building catches fire from space heater

Members of the Dunstable Fire Department responding to a 2nd alarm fire at a barn on 75 Jewett St. in Pepperell early Tuesday morning.
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

PEPPERELL – A barn on the western side of town caught fire early Tuesday morning.

According to Fire Chief Brian Borneman, officials received a 911 call around 4:50 a.m.  when the owner of a barn at 75 Jewett St. woke up smelling smoke coming from the building.

A  2nd-alarm was sounded and local firefighters were assisted by fire crews from Dunstable and Townsend. Borneman said the fire was knocked down and brought under control by about 5:30 a.m.

The chief added there were no injuries and that the barn itself suffered structural damage on the southern side of the building.

There were no animals in the barn, the fire chief said.

The fire itself was deemed “accidental,” caused by a space heater that was too close to “combustible material” inside the barn.