The Townsend Police Department advises that Halloween will be celebrated in Townsend on Friday, Oct. 31, from 6-8 p.m. Chief Erving Marshall requests that the following rules be observed to ensure a safe and happy Halloween for all concerned:
* Trick or treat in your own neighborhoods.
* Children and accompanying adults should wear light colored or reflective clothing and carry a flashlight or some other alternative lighting.
* Motorists and pedestrians should use EXTREME CAUTION in areas where street lighting is poor or in case of inclement weather.
* Children should be allowed to only consume products that are in original wrapping from the manufacturer.
* Parent should make certain that all costumes are nonflammable and provide adequate ventilation and visibility.
* Parents should know where their children are and what they are doing.
* Trick-or-treaters should be accompanied by an adult.
* Report and suspicious activity or behavior to local police immediately.
Halloween is a great time of excitement for children who often times forget the dangers present along our streets while they trick-or-treat. By going slow, paying attention and working together, we can ensure a safe and Happy Halloween for all.