By Dianne Bunis
Asparagus, a spring vegetable, is a great source of potassium and fiber. Rich in B vitamins, vitamin C and A, asparagus has been considered a delicacy since ancient times. Enjoy this light, delicate soup that combines fresh ingredients, to welcome the new season.
Creamy low-fat asparagus soup
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 bunch fresh green asparagus, rinse well, trim tough stems, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 large leek, white part only, chopped
2 medium red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups organic free range chicken broth, low sodium
Organic fat-free sour cream, optional
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Drizzle oil into a Dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add celery, onion, leeks, potatoes and asparagus, sauté stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
3. Add broth and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes, remove from burner and let sit uncovered for 20 minutes to slightly cool.
4. Transfer soup to a blender using a ladle, and puree until smooth. Do this in two stages.
5. Pour puree back into Dutch oven and warm on medium – low heat.
6. Ladle into bowls, add a teaspoon of sour cream into center and give it a swirl using the tip of a knife. Season with lightly with salt and pepper.