Puck bounces Crusaders way in 1-0 nailbiter win over N.M.


FITCHBURG — As vehicles were slipping and sliding on the icy roads outside of the Wallace Civic Center Saturday night, the action was heating up inside between Groton-Dunstable and North Middlesex.

Groton Dunstable senior defenseman, Allan Haynes provided the only offense in the game, with a bullet from the blue line late in the first period, that deflected off a Patriots’ defenseman into the goal.

“When you play a team that has more talent than you from top-to-bottom,you need that one bounce to go your way,” said North Middlesex head coach Mike McCarthy.

“The shots on net won’t indicate how hard we played. We don’t’ have the talent they have, but we outcompeted them on loose pucks and we battled for 45 minutes. It was a fluke play, it wasn’t a lapse on our kids’ part.”

Groton-Dunstable came into Saturday’s game with a goal for average of just over five per game. North Middlesex did a tremendous job jamming the passing lanes, making the Crusaders work hard for scoring chances.

Groton-Dunstable dominated the Patriots offensively, with a 37-8 shot advantage

Looking solely at the shot total, will not indicate how close the game actually was.

The Patriots controlled the tempo of the game for much of the two opening periods, and caused a lot of frustration on the Crusaders’ side of the rink.

“At the intermission I told the guys keep shooting the pucks on net and get the rebounds,” said Groton-Dunstable head coach Phil Rowley. “I told them, they (North Middlesex) are beating us to the puck. They wanted to make sure we only got one shot.”

North Middlesex junior net-minder, Ryan Twomey did a solid job in the crease, making an astounding 36 saves. The Patriots played a very physical brand of hockey, pressuring the puck and disrupting the Crusaders offense in the slot.

North Middlesex had a quality chance on goal, off of a Groton-Dunstable turnover near their own goal with 11:43 left in regulation.

Patriots’ senior captain, Brett Estrella took the puck off the stick of Groton-Dunstable’s Michael Keating and fired a wrister that was knocked down, and cleared away by Jason Robes.

Michael McDonough laced a perfect tape-to-tape pass to Haynes, who was camped out at the top of the point.

Haynes channeled his inner Wayne Gretzky, and sent the puck howling towards the net and off a Patriots’ defender for the eventual game winner, at 14:37 of the first period.

Michael Cole was also credited with an assist on the goal.

“I like to see shots from the point,” said Rowley on Haynes’ first period goal. “We have scorers who come in looking for rebounds. We practiced tip-in shots from the point. He just happened to hit one of their kids, and the puck went in the net. That’s just one of those things that happens when you put the puck on net.”

After two periods, Haynes first period goal remained the difference maker.

Groton-Dunstable tried to put another one past the goal-line but C.J. Kenny’s attempt was stonewalled by Twomey. T.J. Melanson and Mike Carson, did a remarkable job pressuring Kenny, causing him to put too much lift on his shot.

Middlesex had an opportune chance to cash in, when Estrella lofted the puck into the slot from behind the cage into traffic that was smothered by Groton-Dunstable goalkeeper, Jack Niemoler.

“I am very proud of the kids’ effort,” said McCarthy. “As I told the boys, I try not to make a habit out of moral victories when you lose a game. We needed a bounce to go our way, but It went their way. That’s just how the puck bounces sometimes.”