Skip to content




TOWNSEND — After getting great work from goaltender Chris Gersh in the first half, the winless North MIddlesex boys lacrosse team was hanging tough with unbeaten Tyngsboro, trailing just 5-4 at halftime. Tyngsboro had controlled the play over the first 24 minutes, owning a 16-7 edge in shots on goal, but Gersh had stopped 11 of them to keep the contest a one goal affair.

But it all ran amuck for the Patriots in a dismal third quarter. They took penalty after penalty, totally lost focus, and allowed the Tigers to put the game away by scoring seven of the eight goals over the 12-minute span. Tyngsboro put the game on ice by getting 15 of the 16 shots on goal in the quarter as the Tigers pulled away for a 15-5 win.

“We played well in the first half and showed some fire,” said North Middlesex coach Paul Giacobbe. “We were smart in clearing the ball out of our zone and we did a nice job of dodging in the middle of the field. In the third quarter we were out of control in all aspects. We were way overly aggressive, and we never adjusted to the way the referees were calling the game. It started to slip away and we didn’t have the composure to keep it together.”

The teams traded goals in the first quarter, which ended 2-2.

Mitch McCarthy opened the scoring for the Tigers when he took a pass from James Devlin outside the left post and netted a short shot.

Al Dellacanonica tied things up at the five minute mark when he scored on a bouncer after making a strong run down the slot.

Devlin regained the lead for the Tigers at 7:42. Gersh made a pair of brilliant saves, but Devlin scooped up the rebound and scored from close range to make it 2-1.

Just under a minute later, Mike Beliveau drew the Patriots even when he took a pass from Nick Scaltreto and scored from outside the left post.

The Tigers built a two goal lead with a pair of tallies in the first four minutes of the second quarter, as Garrett Glavine and Devlin found the back of the net, but the Patriots answered with two of the final three goals in the half to cut the lead to 5-4 at intermission.

Will Faulkner made it 4-3 as he scored from left wing after taking a pass from Beliveau.

After Devlin rebuilt the lead to two, the Patriots cut the lead in half with just over a minute remaining in the first half. Dellacanonica made a great run and sent a pass to Dom DiTommaso outside the left post and he scored from close range.

Devlin made it 6-4 in the opening minutes of the second half, scoring on a hard 15-yard shot, and Giacobbe called a time-out at the 3:34 mark, but it failed to turn the momentum around. Tyngsboro erupted for six goals over the rest of the quarter, with the only answer from the Patriots coming from Scaltreto, assisted by Beliveau, that made it 8-5.

The Tigers then took total control of the game with four goals in less than three minutes, putting together an impressive spurt that put the game out of reach.

McCarthy paced Tyngsboro with six goals while Devlin added four goals and an assist, and Glavin two goals and two assists. Goaltender Peter Latulipp made four saves in the contest.

Beliveau had a goal and two assists for the Patriots while Dellacanonica and Scaltreto each added a goal and an assist. Gersh stopped 16 shots in the game while Brendan McCarty made six stops after coming on in relief.