Skip to content




By Lisa Redmond


LOWELL — A 50-year-old Groton woman is facing her fourth operating under the influence charge after she drove the wrong way down a one way street in Chelmsford April 1, hit a curb, went airborne and slammed into another car.

After the crash, when police asked Kelley J. Lynch how much she had had to drink, she allegedly responded in a slurred voice, “too much.”

In Lowell District Court Monday, April 2, Lynch, of 21A Hazel Road, was ordered held on $2,500 cash bail after pleading not guilty to operating under the influence — second offense, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, possessing an open container of alcohol and driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

Court documents indicate Lynch has a 2002 continued without a finding for operating under the influence, a Florida conviction for drunken driving and two open operating under the influence cases in Ayer District Court.

According to court documents, a Chelmsford police officer on patrol in the area of Boston Road at 9:30 p.m. on April 1 noticed a Jeep Grand Cherokee driving the wrong way down a one-way street in front of the Chelmsford library.

When the officer hit his lights to stop the vehicle, the Jeep kept going, hit a curb on a traffic island and went airborne, crashing through a stop sign and landing on Boston Road, sideswiping a Ford Taurus. The two occupants of the Taurus were uninjured.

The Jeep came to a stop just before crashing into the police cruiser.

When the officer approached Lynch, the driver of the Jeep, who was asked if she was injured, Lynch allegedly responded in a “What are you talking about?”

The officer noted Lynch emitted a strong odor of alcohol and her speech was slurred. In the Jeep’s cup holder was a can of beer.

When asked how much she had had to drink, Lynch allegedly responded, “too much.”

When the officer asked Lynch to perform some field sobriety tests, Lynch began to scream about lower back pain, according to court documents. She was transported to Lowell General Hospital where blood samples were taken for a blood-alcohol test. The results of that test were not available.

At the hospital, Lynch asked if she hurt anyone. She told police, “I just wanted to drink and watch the Bruins.”

When officers inventoried her car, they found two empty beer cans behind the driver’s seat along with a half empty 750 ml bottle of Fireball Whiskey, according to court document.

In her pocketbook police found four unopened cans of beer, court documents state.

Follow Lisa Redmond at