Skip to content



Groton, Townsend men arrested in brawl outside Tyngsboro eatery


By John Collins


TYNGSBORO — A fight involving four men that broke out in front of Smokey Bones restaurant early Thursday morning led to two suspects being arrested on multiple charges, including striking an officer, police said.

Michael McDonough, 21, of Groton, was charged with disturbing the peace, two counts of assault and battery of a police officer and trespassing. Adam Leaver, 21, of Townsend, was charged with disturbing the peace, resisting arrest and trespassing.

The police report on the incident, issued by Lt. Richard Howe, said “at approximately 12:20 a.m. an officer of the Tyngsboro Police Department on routine patrol observed a group of 10 to 15 subjects gathered in front of Smokey Bones Restaurant and saw that roughly four of them were involved in a fight.”

The officer called for backup before attempting to intervene by ordering the subjects to separate, the report stated.

“After repeated orders to leave the property one of the subjects, Michael McDonough continued to yell profanities and racial epithets at the crowds of people who were still gathered in front of the restaurant,” the police report stated. “McDonough was then advised he was under arrest for disturbing the peace, became combative, and resisted arrest.

“While resisting, (McDonough) was flailing his arms and struck the officers with his elbows,” the police report stated. “After one of the officers advised McDonough that he would be tasered if he did not comply, he put his hands behind his back and complied.”

As McDonough was being arrested, police said Leaver, later identified as a friend of McDonough’s, went back into the crowd in front of the restaurant, “raising his arms in a fighting manner and yelling obscenities at the crowd,” the report stated.

Though Leaver also resisted the initial order from officers to place his arms behind his back to be arrested, he complied after being told that he would be tasered, police reported.

Both subjects were transported to the Tyngsboro police station where they were booked and later released on bail, Howe said.