GROTON — In a season full of dominating effort, Groton-Dunstable’s 8-0 win over Littleton might have been the best. The Crusaders improved to 16-0 on the season by holding a 55-5 edge in shots on goal, holding the Tigers without a shot for more than the 29 minutes.

“This is a great win for us and it was keyed by our balanced offensive attack and a strong defensive effort,” said Groton-Dunstable coach Brian Payne. “We were able to execute our game plan extremely well and we got everyone a lot of ice time tonight and they produced.”

It took just 32 seconds for the Crusaders to draw first blood. Sean Mahoney gathered the puck behind the next and centered a pass to Mike Noeth who one-timed a shot inside the right post to make it a 1-0 game.

Three minutes later, Groton-Dunstable doubled the advantage. Off a scramble, Adam Kmetz shoveled a pass down the left side to Garrett March who slid a shot just inside the left post to push the lead to 2-0.

With just over a minute to play in the opening period, the Crusaders added another tally. Connor Maguire slid a pass over to the point to Mike Kerwin who fired a shot. It was saved by Tigers goaltender Scot Broadbent (47 saves), but the rebound came out to Noeth who wristed a shot into an open net to extend the edge to 3-0 after 15 minutes of play.

“We came out aggressively and forced the action,” said Payne. Defensively, we didn’t allow any penetration and did a great job of taking away their chances.”

While Littleton still looked for their first shot of the night, Groton-Dunstable added two goals in the second period. Josh Rabbitt put home a rebound on the power play at the 11:28 mark with assists going to C.J. Kenny and Nathan Rabbitt. At the 13:51 mark, Mahoney took a Kenny feed and slid a shot inside the left post to make it 5-0.

The Tigers did get on the shots on goal board late in the second and added three shots early in the third, but Crusaders goalkeeper Jason Robes (5 saves) turned them all away to keep the goose egg on the board. In the third, Kmetz) power play, assists to Brad Zadrozny and March), Anthony Resca (unassisted) and Mike Keating (power play, assists to Kerwin and Justin Cole) scored for Groton-Dunstable to account for the final.

“We tried some different things tonight on the power play and some of them worked pretty well,” said Payne. You have to give Littleton credit, they fought to the end.”