GROTON — The Tyngsboro boys lacrosse team entered its contest against Groton-Dunstable on Saturday night as the most dangerous of quarries. Against a very tough schedule, the Tigers were still looking for its first win of the season.

The Tigers lived up to their name. Featuring a controlled and disciplined offense capped by some sensational finishing, Tyngsboro earned a convincing 11-5 win.

The thorn in the Crusaders’ side proved to be sniper Garrett Glavin, who was Roy Hallday with a stick. He continually found the corner of the net with blistering shots, putting them in locations and with pace that made it impossible for Groton-Dunstable goaltender Mike Kerwin (six saves) to stop. Glavin finished with six goals and an assist in the contest.

The game started out on a bright note for the Crusaders as just 2:09 in Shane Penney put them on top when he made a spin move and netted a hard bouncing shot.

But over the remainder of the first quarter, Tyngsboro established the tempo it desired and took control of the game with three unanswered goals.

Talented James Devlin evened things up at 3:28 when he cut across the middle and fired a bouncing shot into the net to make it 1-1.

The Tigers did a nice job of playing ball control, allowing Groton-Dunstable just one shot on net over the rest of the quarter and at 6:10 the visitors took the lead for good when Shaun O’Hare scored from close range after taking a pass in front of the net.

Four minutes later, Glavin got his productive evening into motion when he took a pass from Devlin and ripped a bullet inside the right post. Tyngsboro led 3-1 after 12 minutes, holding a 6-2 edge in shots on goal.

Groton-Dunstable came out with some energy to open the second quarter, getting a pair of quality early scoring chances, but a Riley Baxter point-blank shot from the right post, and a hard, low shot by Matt Manning were both denied by Tyngsboro goaltender Peter Latulippe, who made eight saves in the game.

Tyngsboro responded with a pair of goals to establish breathing room.

At 5:05, Glavin took a pass from Mitch McCarthy outside the left post and netted a rocket under the cross bar.

At 6:24, the two Tigers reversed roles, Glavin making a strong run down the slot and sending a pass to McCarthy, who scored from just outside the left post to make it 5-1.

At that point, Groton-Dunstable called a timeout and just over a minute later the Crusaders answered when Manning sent a pass to Greg Stratton outside the right post and he scored to make it 5-2.

Any thoughts of the Crusaders building momentum were quickly defused as 21 seconds later Glavin scored from 18 yards out with the Tigers a man up to rebuild the lead to four goals.

LaTulippe made a pair of saves over the remainder of the period to keep that goal intact, including an outstanding stop of Penney’s low, testing shot.

The Tigers put together its third consecutive 3-1 quarter to extend the lead to 9-3 entering the final 12 minutes. Galvin picked up two of the tallies while Devlin added a goal and an assist.

Groton-Dunstable’s lone goal in the third quarter came from Riley Baxter, who circled the net and sent a shot under the cross bar.

There was no quit in the Crusaders and a quick start in the fourth quarter provided some hope.

Just 28 seconds in, Cotoni circled the net and scored an unassisted goal to make it 9-4. Kerwin stopped a pair of Tyngsboro shots and the Crusaders sliced into the lead when Cotoni scored again at 3:46, cutting across the middle and ripping a shot inside the left post.

Groton-Dunstable continued to press, but LaTulippe came up big, denying Hayden Lynch from point-blank range, and the Tigers put the game on ice with the game’s final two goals, unassisted tallies by Glavin and Devlin.

Tyngsboro owned a 17-13 edge in shots on goal in the contest.