Skip to content

GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR BROWSER. CLICK HERE TO TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS.

X

PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

AYER — Faulty wiring was fingered as the cause of a morning house fire in Ayer on Wednesday, Feb. 23. Upon arrival at 9 Forest St., firefighters saw flames and smoke pouring from a breezeway that connects an occupied two-family home and a converted two-car garage.

An electric switch in the wall outside the garage in the breezeway was found to blame for sparking the blaze.

The call came in as a report of smoke and fire from the address. The day was otherwise bright and sunny; the fire was easy to spot by a passerby.

“This was a good stop,” said Ayer Fire Chief Robert Pedrazzi. “If this were to have happened in the middle of the night, it could have been a lot worse.”

Upon arrival, a resident of the house was unaware of the fire burning in the breezeway. “If it had gone longer it would have taken the garage,” Pedrazzi said.

Pedrazzi estimates damage at $30,000. There were no injuries reported.

Join the Conversation

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.