HARVARD — At two meetings in September, the Harvard Schools Trust board of directors voted to fund five educational grants, totaling $8,935, to enhance the curriculum at Hildreth Elementary School and The Bromfield School.
“What a great start to the school year! With five grants funded in September, we are off and running to meet our mission in Harvard’s schools,” said Molly Cutler, co-president, Harvard Schools Trust.
The five grants that the Trust funded are:
* Bromfield Model United Nations Club, for 25 students to attend Harvard University’s Model UN Conference (HMUN) in January;
* Ceiling mounted projector and laptop computer, to enhance the learning experience for the 105 Bromfield French students through an exploration of authentic aspects of francophone culture;
* Market Math, a one-day, after-school event for students in grades 4-5 to learn how math is applied in every-day situations, including fun activities: “Measure it Up,” “Pickle Graphing,” and “Skittles Statistics.”;
* Applying technology to formative assessment, including CPS pulse clickers and classroom assessment techniques book, to enhance formative assessment techniques for Bromfield 7th-grade science classes. Grant aligns with teaching critical thinking and 21s-century skills;
* Nature’s Classroom, scholarships for 5th-graders to attend a five-day environmental education field trip where they will participate in exciting hands-on interdisciplinary classes.
The Trust reviews grant requests at its monthly meetings. Teachers, administrators, parents and students are all encouraged to submit grant applications that will enrich the curriculum via email to: email@example.com. For more information visit: http://www.harvardschoolstrust.org/hst_grantapplication.htm.
The monthly meeting dates for the 2010-2011 Harvard Schools Trust calendar year are: Dec. 8, 2010; Jan. 12, 2011; Feb. 9, 2011; March 9, 2011; April 6, 2011; May 11, 2011; June 8, 2011; and Sept. 14, 2011.
Those interested in becoming a Trust member or renewing their membership may send a donation to: Harvard Schools Trust, P.O. Box 450, Harvard, MA 01451. The membership donation levels are: Individual or Family at $35; Sponsor at $100; and Patron at $500. Checks may be payable to: “Harvard Schools Trust, Inc.” The Harvard Schools Trust is a 501(c)(3) organization. All contributions are fully tax-deductible.