Skip to content




Nasty to a ‘T’

An Everett man was arrested Saturday night after allegedly causing a ruckus on an MBTA train passing through Ayer. Rontel Michael Ambers, 24, allegedly was smoking on the train when the conductor approached him and told him to put the cigarette out. Ambers allegedly spit on the conductor who then called police. Ambers was arrested by Ayer police and charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and trespass upon rail property.

– Mary E. Arata

Halloween spirits

alleged in crash

An early morning downtown crash in the wee hours of Halloween morning landed an Ayer man under arrest on drunken-driving charges. Thomas Allan Layton, 22, was arrested while allegedly fleeing the scene where his vehicle crashed into the retaining wall aside Park Street by the intersection of West Main Street and the Ayer Fire Department. Other charges included speeding, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, disturbing the peace, marked- lanes violations, and leaving the scene of property damage. Layton was allegedly speeding westbound on Main Street and failed to properly navigate the turn onto Park Street. Before coming to a stop at the retaining wall, Layton’s vehicle allegedly flattened street signs after jumping the traffic island at the intersection of Park and Main streets.

– Mary E. Arata

Dirty deal denied

Police are trying to locate a man who offered a dirty deal to a female customer at Bubble-it Laundromat in Ayer last week. On Monday morning, Nov. 1, the man offered the woman $500 if she’d have sex with him. The woman declined. The unidentified man was described as being 5-foot, 3-inches tall and last seen driving away in a white truck or van.

– Mary E. Arata

Rough and tumble

on Rail Trail

A 54-year old man visited the Ayer Police Department midafternoon on Monday, Nov. 1 and made a confession to Lt. Brian Gill. The man admitted that he’d just battered his friend.

Gill said the man “advised that he was at a campfire in the woods off the (Nashua River) Rail Trail and was upset with the friend he was with and punched him in the face.

“I asked him if he killed him and he said he didn’t think so,” said Gill. “He just wanted to clear his conscious.”

Sure enough, when visiting the campfire, Gill found the 53-year old friend, who was sporting a freshly swollen eye. The friend declined to pursue charges against the man, reporting he’d just rolled down a hill.

Westford man held pending hearing

A domestic disturbance landed a 27-year old Westford man in jail pending a dangerousness hearing. It all stemmed from an alleged altercation downtown.

Scott Patrick Cooper was charged with assault and battery, assault with a dangerous weapon, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and resisting arrest.

When police arrived on the scene of the victim’s West Street residence, Cooper allegedly ran off. Officer Brian Cunningham gave chase and captured Cooper. A female relative alleges Cooper was creating a disturbance at the home when he pulled a knife on her and threatened to kill her. The woman was not injured.

Cooper was brought to Ayer District Court the following day and ordered held for a dangerousness hearing scheduled for Friday, Nov. 12. – Mary E. Arata

Unrelated assaults hour apart on 5th

On Friday, Nov. 5, a 31-year old Ayer man was arrested and charged with assault and battery and resisting arrest after allegedly punching a woman in the eye. Joan Velazquez of Williams Street was arrested at his William Street residence by Officer Richard Krasinskas shortly after midnight. The female victim was transported to Nashoba Valley Medical Center by Ayer Ambulance for treatment of injuries.

About an hour later, Officer Krasinskas responded to an unrelated call of another assault. This time police were called to the East Main Street apartment of a woman who was allegedly assaulted by an ex-boyfriend. 28-year old Joseph Sherman of Oak Street was charged with assault and battery and intimidation of a witness by allegedly trying to block the woman from calling the police for help. Ayer Police state no series injuries were reported by the woman. The couple had recently ended their relationship.

– Mary E. Arata