To the Devens community:
* Congratulations to The Devens Grill, which received a thumbs-up review in NECN’s “Diner for a Day” feature. Watch Angela Pelletier say the trip down Route 2 was worth it for the quality food at www.necn.com/08/21/10/Diner-For-A-Day-DevensGrill/landing_tvdiner_dinerforaday.html?blockID=295003&feedID=4413. The Grill is also holding a "Dining to Donate" event Aug. 30, with 10 percent of the proceeds that night going to The National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Call 978-862-0060 for information.
* Just in time for apple-picking season, Devens’ own Evergreen Solar has supplied the solar panels for the largest Massachusetts solar field at an agricultural operation — Harvard’s Carlson Orchards. With the 220-kilowatt solar power system, the orchard hopes to cut its energy usage and costs by at least 70 percent. Read more at http://www.nashobapublishing.com/harvard_news/ci_15838368.
* The Department of Public Health has confirmed a case of Eastern Equine Encephalitis in a 3-year-old horse in Lancaster. For more information on this particular case, visit http://bit.ly/bIaQqH. For more information on how to protect yourself from EEE, read the Department of Public Health’s guidelines at http://bit.ly/cSHLwv.
* The Worcester Business Journal is compiling its first “Innovation Awards,” presented to innovative people and businesses. The journal is seeking nominations, so if you have an individual or company in mind, visit the following link to nominate: http://www.wbjournal.com/nomination.php?cf_form_name=NOMINATE_INNOVATION.
* As a reminder, here is a list of school openings for Devens and the surrounding areas:
* Ayer: For grades one through 12, school starts Tuesday, Aug. 31.
* Harvard: School starts Wednesday, Sept. 1.
* Francis W. Parker Charter Essential School: Registration is Aug. 27, classes start Monday, Aug. 30.
* Shirley: Classes start Aug. 31 for grades K through eight and the first day of preschool is Wednesday, Sept. 1.
* Finally, I would like to thank Joe Giuliano, head of Devens Public Works, for his service to the community. Joe’s last day in Devens is today, and we wish him well in his future endeavors.
George A. Ramirez
Executive vice president, Devens Operations