* The Nashoba Valley Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee is pleased to announce that state Sen. Scott Brown will be on hand Jan. 6 to introduce himself to the business community and answer questions. It will be held at Devens Common Center, Andrews Parkway, Devens, from 8-9:30 a.m. Members $10, Non-Members $15. Continental Breakfast included. Register at www.nvcoc.com or call 978-772-6976.
* Jan 14 Nashoba Valley Chamber’s Fidelity Bank Breakfast Series (7:30-9 a.m.) Cappy Popp of Thought Labs joins us to talk about Social Media. To be held at Devens Common Center, Andrews Parkway, Devens, from 730-9 a.m. Members $20, Non-Members $30. Breakfast included. Register at www.nvcoc.com or call 978-772-6976
* Jan 20 Nashoba Valley Chamber’s Business After Hours at Phoenix Park in Shirley, 5:30-730 p.m.
Join us as our corporate sponsor, Phoenix Park, hosts our New Year Networking Kickoff, a joint event with North Central Mass Chamber. This is a great opportunity to expand your networking; make sure to bring plenty of business cards. To be held at Phoenix Park, 2 Shaker Road, Shirley.. Members registered in advance, $10; nonmembers and members at-the-door, $20. Register at www.nvcoc.com or call 978-772-6976.
* Jan 27 Nashoba Valley Chamber’s Quarterly New Member Coffee, 8:30-930 a.m. Sponsored by The Catalano Companies (Dunkin’ Donuts). Member Orientation is your opportunity to learn all about member benefits, including marketing opportunities, partnerships and advertising and the many ways to get involved. Attendees will also be able to meet many of the Chamber staff members who serve them. This is open to new members as well as anyone looking for a refresher on the benefits of your chamber. Please RSVP at 978-772-6976. Coffee to be held at NVCoC offices, 100 Sherman Ave., Devens.
* Jan 28 Nashoba Valley Chamber’s Human Resources Luncheon, noon-1:30 p.m. Sponsored by Holiday Inn Boxborough Woods. Topic: Legal Traps in Employee Status (Independent Contractor vs. Employee and Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Classification.)
An estimated 70 percent of employers routinely violate wage and hour laws. Now is the time to ensure your company’s compensation compliance. Massachusetts now has among the toughest standards in the nation restricting when a worker may be characterized as an independent contractor. This presentation will provide information to help organizations avoid the traps of misclassifying personnel whether it is as a temporary worker, an independent contractor, exempt (“salaried”) employee or a nonexempt (“hourly”) employee.
To be held at NVCoC Chamber offices, 100 Sherman Ave., Devens, noon-1:30 p.m. Members $10, Non-members $20. Bring your own lunch. Register at www.nvcoc.com or call 978-772-6976.