Skip to content

GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR BROWSER. CLICK HERE TO TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS.

X

Thanks to all who made Shirley’s Red Cross blood drive a success

PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

I want to extend a big thank-you to everyone who participated in our third annual community Red Cross blood Drive that was held on Friday, May 15, at St. Anthony Parish Hall in Shirley.

I also want to say a special thank-you to our co-sponsors, the Ayer/Shirley Lions Club and the Shirley Council on Aging. Thanks to the members who helped out in any way.

The Lions Club Mobile Eye Van was on hand offering free eye and hearing tests. We are very grateful to Father Derosier and St. Anthony Parish for allowing us to use the parish hall. Thanks also go to Deborah, Celia, Leslie, Tania and Nicole from our dental office for all they did to make the blood drive a success.

It was heartwarming and inspiring to sit and talk with the donors. People of all ages, from their early 20s to their 80s, came to give the gift of life.

There is a critical need for blood. Blood cannot be manufactured. Its only source is a healthy volunteer donor. The American Red Cross provides about half of the nation’s blood supply – roughly six million pints a year. Nationally, less than 5 percent of the population gives blood, supporting the other 95 percent. The New England Red CrossrRegion serves 170 hospitals and must collect 1,400 pints of blood every working day in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont to meet patient needs.

Giving blood is truly giving from the heart. We were very impressed with the many individuals who took time out of their busy day to give blood. We hope to sponsor another blood drive again next year. If you would like to give at a local American Red Cross Blood Drive, you can call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or log on to www.givelife.org.

Thank you again to the local community for their wonderful support on May 15. See you next spring.

Sincerely,

Dr. Arthur F. Eddy

Family Dentist in Shirley

Join the Conversation

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.