WORCESTER — After winning their first-ever Central Mass. Division 3 championship, the Bromfield girls soccer team was in uncharted waters when they met Lee in the State semi-finals. But things continued to go swimmingly for the Lady Trojans, who posted a 3-1 win to move into the State finals against Newburyport.

Bromfield took control of the game with goals from Maddie Darden and Elise Bilodeau within a span of 1:31 late in the first half. After Lee sliced the lead in half, Ellery Yahia erased all doubts of the outcome with a tally with under two minutes left in the game.

“I’m extremely excited,” said Bromfield coach Gary Wenger. “Lee is a very tough team, but our two goals in the first half changed the complexion of the game. Once again, it was a team effort. Our defense continued their strong play, and we did a nice job of passing the ball and were able to get passes through their defense.”

Bromfield controlled play over the first six minutes of the game, getting some solid chances against a Lee defense that was nervous and had trouble controlling the ball. The best chance for the Lady Trojans in the early going was a hard shot by Anni Lierhaus that was just wide and high.

Lee came on and started beating Bromfield to the ball, and the Wildcats put the next three shots on goal, all stopped by Lady Trojans’ netminder Lindsey Burke (six saves).

The game was still scoreless at the midway point of the half, and just after that a Lee scoring opportunity was diffused by an excellent defensive effort. Kalei Sullivan made a strong right wing run and ripped a cross in front of the net, but Bromfield sweeper Henley Siegrist sliced in front of the goal and deflected the ball out of danger.

At 26 minutes, the Lady Trojans mounted a threat when Darden made a left wing run and crossed the ball to Elise Bilodeau, whose header was saved by Lee goaltender Sarah Hickey.

The Lady Trojans broke through at 27:07 on a gorgeous passing play. Siegrist sent a well-placed pass down the right wing to Yahia, who sent a perfect diagonal cross to Darden at the left post, and the junior rolled a short shot into the net to make it 1-0.

Before the ink had dried on that tally, Elise Bilodeau pounced on a loose ball after a mis-kick by the Lee defense and netted a short shot to make it 2-0.

Bromfield took that lead to intermission, holding a 5-4 edge in shots on goal over the first 40 minutes.

The Lady Trojans did a nice job of protecting the lead over the first 20 minutes of the second half, getting four of the five shots on goal. Their two best chances came from Darden and Hillary Lewis, but Hickey stopped both shots to keep her team within striking distance. Robin Neschke was a steadying influence for the Lady Trojans in the middle of the field with consistent play.

But Lee didn’t quit and cut the lead in half at 27:31 when Katie Eckert headed in a perfect corner kick from Megan Gangell, the first goal Bromfield had allowed in the post-season.

With ten minutes left, Lee dodged a bullet when a mad scramble ensued 30 yards in front of their goal. Hickey was in the middle of it and used her hands to make a save, but inexplicably no call was made and the game remained in doubt.

Yahia doused Lee’s hopes with 1:40 left, slipping a rebound inside the left post after Darden had rocketed a shot off the cross bar from left wing. With their ticket punched to the finals, the celebration started.

“I just try to relax and do what I can to help the team,” said Neschke. “Our defense has played well and we are doing a lot of communicating on the field. This is one of the most fun things I have ever done and we are all excited about it.”