Skip to content

GET BREAKING NEWS IN YOUR BROWSER. CLICK HERE TO TURN ON NOTIFICATIONS.

X

PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

TOWNSEND — Police have identified a second person involved in a series of bomb threats that were discovered at Hawthorne Brook Middle School. Although refusing to comment further, Chief Erving Marshall stated that a 13-year-old male student of Hawthorne Brook has been identified and has admitted to his involvement in the threat discovered on Feb. 6, which is the first in the series of three threats discovered written on bathroom walls within the school.

Coincidentally, the youth was identified shortly after an assembly was held at the school on March 1 in which all grades of Hawthorne Brook were called in and spoken to by school administrators and representatives of public safety including police, fire/ambulance, and an assistant district attorney from the Middlesex District Attorney’s office.

The planned assembly was set up by Dr. Pamela Miller, principal at Hawthorne Brook, to address concerns and was attended by hundreds of students in grades 6-8 as well as administrators and teachers from the school and the school district, public safety officials, and approximately 30 concerned parents.

Marshall stated that the assembly was well-received and that issues concerning the bomb threats were discussed which included safety concerns, the seriousness of these events, and the consequences that one could face should they become involved in one of these incidents.

Marshall said he explained to students how the laws relating to these types of crimes had been changed to address their seriousness and that if they were thinking about doing this sort of thing, that they should think about the consequences of their actions and how it could affect them, their family and their peers. Chief Marshall told students that although they were still juveniles in the eyes of the court and had certain rights that adults don’t have, they could still be charged with adult crimes and held accountable for their actions.

The students were also addressed by Assistant District Attorney Kerry Ahern from the Middlesex District Attorney’s office, as well as fire Chief William Donahue, who tried to impress upon the students the costs associated with these types of calls and how it negatively impacted public safety within the community.

The assembly lasted approximately two and one half hours, with a presentation being made to each grade individually and ending with a question and answer discussion with parents, who raised some legitimate concerns and had a variety of interesting questions.

Marshall stated that the information received on the first incident was not directly related to the assembly but was part of the ongoing investigation into the other two incidents. He further stated that, during the presentation, he advised those parents attending that he was committed to finding out who was responsible for the other two threats and is also interested in finding out what is the motivation for these events.

Join the Conversation

We invite you to use our commenting platform to engage in insightful conversations about issues in our community. We reserve the right at all times to remove any information or materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, indecent or otherwise objectionable to us, and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy the law, regulation, or government request. We might permanently block any user who abuses these conditions.