TOWNSEND — Open burning season will start on Monday, Jan. 15 and end on Tuesday, May 1. Permits will be available at Townsend Fire-EMS headquarters located at 13 Elm Street.
Permits can be purchased for $20 during weekdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on weekends and holidays, 9 a.m. to noon.
Homeowners are allowed to burn brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris — not including grass, hay, leaves or stumps — between Jan. 15 and May 1, so long as the open burning takes place:
* with the permission of the Fire Department;
* between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.;
* when the air is circulating well but winds are light;
* no less than 75 feet away from all dwellings, and;
* on your own property and as close as possible to the source of the material(s) to be burned.
Be sure to get a permit before burning anything.
Open burning permits authorize you to burn. It is your responsibility to keep the fire under control.
— Townsend Fire Department, (978) 597-8150.