AYER — At its final meeting of the 2005-2006 school year, held on Tuesday, June 20, the Ayer Education Foundation’s board of directors voted unanimously to elect new board member Leslie Adams Lariviere, Ph.D., to serve as secretary. Dr. Lariviere has a degree in experimental psychology with a developmental specialization from Tufts University and is a professor at Fitchburg State College, currently teaching adult development and human growth and development.
“We are thrilled to welcome Dr. Leslie Adams Lariviere to our board and look forward to her involvement in our mission of enhancing the educational excellence in the Ayer, Massachusetts, school district,” said Maura Feller, president of the Ayer Education Foundation. “We will benefit enormously from her vast knowledge and expertise.” Dr. Lariviere resides in Ayer with her husband and children.
Also during the meeting:
* AEF unveiled the Janis Bresnahan Early Childhood Education grant, with all preschools in Ayer eligible for this $1,000 grant. The deadline for applications is January 15, 2007. Applications and guidelines will soon be available for this grant on the AEF Web site at www.ayer.mec.edu. The grant is named for Janis Bresnahan, who dedicated much of her life and work to the education of children. Learn more about her at www.janisbresnahanforeducation.com.
* AEF announced a workshop to be held in September 2006 to demonstrate effective grant-writing techniques to the teachers and staff at Ayer public schools.
* AEF announced its fall-spring 2006-2007 grant cycles. The deadline for application submissions for the fall grant cycle is October 27, 2006. The deadline for application submissions for its spring cycle is March 30, 2007. Grant applications may be downloaded from AEF’s Web site at www.ayer.mec.edu.
* AEF will conduct its first appeal in early Oct. 2006, with a mailing to the residents of Ayer.
* AEF will host its third-annual Lip Sync Show on Nov. 18, 2006, to kick off the holiday season.
The non-profit, all-volunteer Ayer Education Foundation seeks to increase its membership. Interested parties should contact Maura Feller at (978) 772-8600, ext. 143, or send an e-mail inquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Foundation may also be reached by mail at P.O. Box 502, Ayer, MA 01432, or visit the AEF online at www.ayer.mec.edu to learn more.