GROTON — The wintery weather is already upon us and the roads are rapidly becoming slick. The Groton Police Department would like to remind you to use caution when driving during the brisk months of winter.
Article IV, Section 5, of the Traffic Rules and Orders of the town of Groton states, “It shall be unlawful for the driver of any vehicle, other than one acting in an emergency, to park said vehicle on any street for a period of time longer than one hour between the hours of 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. of any day.”
Here are some winter driving tips to ensure a safe and happy winter:
* Reduce your speed according to road conditions. Drive cautiously and accelerate gently.
* Increase the space between your vehicle and others. You need more distance to stop safely on slippery surfaces.
* Because the earth does not insulate them, bridges and highway overpasses tend to freeze before the rest of the road becomes slippery.
* Make sure your windshield wipers and defroster are in good condition.
* Before driving, remove ice and snow from your vehicle. Clear all windows, windshield wipers, headlights and break lights. Clear ice and snow from your vehicle’s roof, so they don’t blow off while you’re driving and create hazards for drivers behind you.
* Keep your fuel tank at least half full to prevent the fuel line from freezing.
* Make sure you fill your windshield washer reservoir with a cleaning solution that will not freeze.
* Keep a blanket, flashlight and a small shovel in your trunk.
Remember, follows these instructions to stay safe this season