HARVARD -- Ayer-Shirley's Tyler Gaetz exploded for three three-pointers, and a game-high 19 points as the Panthers downed a pesky Bromfield team on the road, 50-45.

The Panthers with the win, earned their first win-streak of the season. Ryan Richard overcame a lackluster first half, and racked up 13 second half points, for a game total of 15. Bromfield's Ryan Kennedy dropped a team-high 12 points to pace the Panthers, and collected six boards.

"Tyler Gaetz was huge coming down the stretch for us. He hit a bunch of big baskets ," said Ayer-Shirley head coach Justin Carlson. "We hit our free-throws to seal it and kill their runs at the end."

Bromfield has dropped five in a row; their only win came back on Dec. 14 against Oakmont. Ayer-Shirley won the turnover battle, giving up possession just nine times in comparison to the 10 of Bromfield.

In the first quarter, Ayer-Shirley jumped out to an early 5-0 lead, when senior captain Ryan Goodman scorched the net for a three-pointer from the right side with 7:03 remaining in the first quarter. Bromfield senior shooting guard, Trevor Granville accepted the long-distance call by Goodman, and returned the favor with a three pointer of his own deep in the left corner to make it 5-3.

Granville's three-pointer and a lay-up sparked a 7-0 run by the Trojans, where Kevin Sun hammered home a pop-up jumper to give Bromfield their first lead of the game, 7-5 with 5:30 left in the first quarter.


At the end of the first quarter, Ayer-Shirley clung to a narrow 12-10 lead.

Scoring was at a premium in the second quarter, as both teams failed to establish a steady run. Ayer-Shirley was lead in the quarter by Goodman with a splash down three with 4:30 left in the second to break the tie, and give the Panthers a 15-12 lead. Sophomore forward, Chris Patano hit a mid-range jumper at the buzzer to give the Panthers a 17-15 advantage at halftime.

Gaetz spearheaded a 8-0 run by the Panthers' mid-way through the third with a three-pointer, and a lay-up with 3:05 remaining in the quarter, as Ayer-Shirley took a 31-23 lead. Neither team would find the bottom of the net, until Granville was fouled.