GROTON -- A small fire at the Hollingsworth and Vose Mill in Groton was extinguished Thursday morning, according to Fire Chief Steele McCurdy.

About 8 a.m. firefighters arrived at the paper mill at 219 Townsend Road, where the fire was located in the basement of the main floor of the mill.

"There was a fire in one of the paper roller machines and we utilized mutual aid from Ayer, Shirley, Pepperell and Townsend in order to extinguish it," McCurdy said. "The cause of the fire is just a faulty piece of machinery."

It took about two hours to extinguish the fire. McCurdy said there were no injuries and there was only minor damage.

Follow Kori Tuitt on Twitter @KoriTuitt.