Mister Vic will share his energy, enthusiasm, and love of music at Tales and Tunes for Tots on Friday, Sept. 6 from 10:30-11:15 a.m., thanks to the support of the GPL Endowment Fund.
GROTON -- GPL has lots to offer! Take part in lifelong learning classes, book groups, museum passes and programs for all ages. And, GPL is open more hours than ever with autumn Sundays, 1-5 p.m., starting Sept. 8.
Lifelong Learning Classes, organized by coordinator Dr. Mary Jennings. Registration is required for all except Lunch with TED:
* The World According to Robert Altman, 1-2:30, Wednesdays, Sept. 18-Oct. 16+ final session, led by Mary Jennings
* Lunch with TED, 12-1 p.m., Thursdays, Sept. 19-Nov. 21, led by Mary Jennings and Bobbie Lamont
* The Universe Updated: Studying the Night Sky, 7:30-9 p.m., Tuesdays, Sept. 24-Oct. 22, led by Dr. Peter Schulz
* Why We Call It Art: A Beginner's Guide, 7-8:30 p.m., Thursdays, Oct. 24-Nov. 21, led by Donna Nowak
* HER STORY: The Women's Rights Movement in America, 1-2:30, Wednesdays, Oct. 23-Nov. 27, led by Arlene Townes
Adult and Family Programs:
* Ted Reinstein of WCVB's "Chronicle" will speak on his book "New England Notebook: One Reporter, Six States, Uncommon Stories"*** on Tues., Sept. 10, 7-8:30 p.m. Released in May Reinstein's book was selected by National Geographic Traveler as one of "The Best Travel Books of Spring.
* Canning Class by Groton Master Gardener Jodie Gilson,* Sun., Sept. 15, 2-3:30 p.m. Harvest time is here. Learn about canning from an expert!
* Healthy Cooking for the Whole Family by Karen Zimmerman,* Tues., Sept. 17, 7-8:30 p.m. Chef Karen of Groton Wellness offers demonstrations of simple, delicious recipes the family will love!
* "First Light Fun!" with Native American Performer Annawon Weeden,* Tues., Oct. 1, 7-8:30. Annawon shares the culture of his tribal culture through dancing, singing and drumming. Co-sponsored by the Nashua River Watershed Association with support by a grant from the Groton Cultural Council, a local agency supported by the Massachusetts Cultural Council a state agency, and by the GPL Endowment Trust.
Join us at any or all of three friendly monthly book groups for adults at GPL:
* Great Books is a fun, casual group of readers who talk about brief selections they've read from a wide range of fascinating books, poems, and essays recommended by the Great Books Foundation. Second Thursday each month, September-June, starting Sept. 12, 7 p.m.
* The GPL Book Group is a group of avid readers of fiction (and some nonfiction) who bring enthusiasm to their meetings and are happy to welcome new members. Over the years they've had many author visits. Fourth Tuesday most months, September-June, but starting Tues., Sept. 17, at 7 p.m.
* The GPL Mystery Group meets year round. Like the GPL Book Group, this group reads a variety of titles. While most selections are fiction, they occasionally read true crime stories. They are also happy to have new members to share their love of the mystery genre. Third Thursday most months year round, next meeting Sept. 19, 7 p.m.
* The full list of reading selections and meeting dates for each group is online at gpl.org at "Events and Activities."
* Currier Museum of Art and the SEE Science Center, both in Manchester, NH (new!)
* Double the number of passes for the ever-popular Museum of Science and the New England Aquarium
* New England Aquarium passes are available again after a summer break. Reserve online today for passes starting Sept. 3.
* Old Sturbridge Village (new!)
* Higgins Armory pass available through Dec. 31 (when the museum will close)
Now available! Portable DVD players for loan free of charge. Check out DVD players and cases for one week for car rides (the cases attach to the back of car seats for backseat riders), trips (where they can attach to any TV to show a movie), or simply for watching a movie (or listening to a CD - regular or MP3 -- the players do that, too) in the library.
Young Adult Programs:
* Hot Books, Hot Chocolate! Book Group for grades 6-8, Thurs., Sept. 5, 7-8 p.m. This month's book is Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli, a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love.
* Minecraft Club, Weds., Sept. 25, 7-8:30 p.m. Every month young adults in grades 6-12 are invited to play Minecraft on the library's dedicated server. Visit gpl.org for details at "Calendar."
* Magic the Gathering Club,* Thurs., Sept. 26, 3-5 p.m. Bring your friends and enjoy the game, prizes, and refreshments! grades 6 and up.
Children's Programs and Book Groups:
* Book Worms, Kids Book Discussion Group for grades 4-5. First Tuesday each month, starting Tues., Sept. 3, 4-4:30 p.m.
* Tales and Tunes for Tots with Mr. Vic,* Fri., Sept. 6, 10:30-11:15 a.m.**
* Chapter Book Read-Aloud with Jennie, Tues., Sept. 10, 4-4:30 p.m. Children in grades K-2 can drop in and listen to Jennie Fitzkee read from some of the best children's chapter books every second and fourth Tuesday.
* Mother Goose Story Time, Wednesdays, beginning Sept. 11, 10:30-11 a.m. and 11:15-11:45 a.m.
* Story Time for 3-, 4- and 5-year-olds, Thursdays, beginning Sept. 12, 10:30-11 a.m.
* Book Bears, Book Discussion Group for grades 2-3, second Thursday each month, starting Thurs.,, Sept. 12, 4-4:30 p.m.
* Lego Club, Tues., Sept. 17, 4-5 p.m.
* Duct Tape Crafternoon for grades 3-4, Thurs., Sept. 19, 4-5 p.m.
Always free and open to all.
* Made possible by the GPL Endowment Fund.
** Online registration begins one week before program. Preference given to Groton residents.
*** Sponsored by the Town of Groton's Trust Funds' Lecture Fund.
For more information on events, the art gallery, and museum passes, visit www.gpl.org.
GPL Hours: Tues., Weds., Thurs. 10-9; Fri. 10-5; Sat 10-3; Sun. 1-5 Sept.-April; closed Mon.
Telephone: Main: 448-1167; Info: 448-8000; Children's: 448-1168; website: gpl.org