GROTON -- The Groton Woman's Club celebrated on May 17 the yearlong culmination of events celebrating the 100th anniversary of the club.
A granite bench, with plaque inscribed with the club founder's name, Georgianna Boutwell, and years 1913-2013, were dedicated at the Boutwell House, former home of Gov. George Boutwell and current home of the Groton Historical Society.
Following the dedication, attendees went inside to meet in the room where the club started with Georgianna Boutwell's invited group of ladies on March 8, 1913.
From its beginning, the Woman's Club has been a service organization dedicated to improvement of lives and properties in the town of Groton. Some of these projects include scholarships, monthly senior meals, quilts for wounded soldiers, adopt-a-road, UNICEF, Christmas Greens Sale and the Williams Barn educational project.
Stuart Shulman and Susan Randazzo, from Indian Hill Music, provided string music prior to the beginning of the meeting. The installation of new officers took place and the group admired the tremendous amount of work and beautiful results of the repair and restoration of the interior of the Boutwell House, an ongoing project headed by John Ott and Al Collins.