By Dianne Bunis
A crisp, healthy cracker that takes less than 30 minutes to make, and there's nothing artificial about them! These crackers can be served with cheese, hummus, pesto or simply snacked on as they are.
Whole wheat seeded crackers
Makes 4 large crackers
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting rolling pin
1 tbsp. flaxseed meal (Bob's Red Mill)
1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. local honey
Freshly ground pepper, sea salt and caraway seeds for topping
1. Heat oven to 350°. To toast sesame seeds, place raw seeds in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, place in oven for about 2 1/2 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 1/2 minutes, until light brown.
2. Mix flour, flaxseed meal, toasted sesame seeds and salt together in a bowl. Stir in oil and add 6 to 8 tbsp. water (fill a measuring cup with water and use a measuring spoon to add the water), knead until dough forms a ball.
3. Divide dough into quarters and roll into 10 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles, 1/8 inch thick.
4. In a measuring cup, mix honey with 3 tsp. water and brush over crackers. Prick crackers several times with a fork and sprinkle with toppings.
5. Bake, rotating once, until crackers are golden brown and crisp, 20 minutes. Let cool.