AYER -- The cause and the circumstances remain under investigation, but the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office has confirmed that two men walking on Washington Street in Ayer on Nov. 23 were struck by a motor vehicle.

Both men were transported to Nashoba Valley Medical Center for treatment. One of the victims, a 37-year-old male, died on Nov. 26. A second pedestrian, a 54-year-old male, remains hospitalized.

Stephanie Guyotte, Leone's spokeswoman, said Michael Smith, 37, of Ayer, was pronounced dead at Nashoba Valley Medical Center in Ayer on Nov. 26, three days after he and a 54-year-old male were struck by a vehicle on Washington Street in Ayer.

The Ayer Police Department referred all questions about the incident to the District Attorney's Office. A spokesman for the DA's office declined to identify the male victims by name at this time.

The crash was reported at 5:09 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 23 -- the day after Thanksgiving. The DA's Office said the incident remains under investigation and confirms the driver's license of the driver of the vehicle has been suspended pending the investigation.

The Ayer Police Facebook page states that the vehicle was travelling northbound (or uphill from Main Street) on Washington Street when it collided with the two men "who were trying to cross the street at Washington Street near Newton Street." The location is adjacent to the former Washington Street firehouse.

A wreath of yellow roses was tied to the stop sign at the corner of Washington and Main Streets.


At the base of the stop sign was placed a vase containing white candles.

Downtown business owner Phil Berry choked-up while talking about the fatal accident to the Ayer selectmen Tuesday night. Berry noted that the Ayer Business Alliance had requested stepped-up speed enforcement and crosswalk signage on downtown streets.

"It's really making Ayer look terrible," said Berry. "Why would anyone shop in Ayer, Massachusetts when you can' cross the street? ... I would hope that the selectmen would make some gigantic decision for a change and do something about this."

Selectman Frank Maxant suggested routine memos from the police chief on the town's formal response. The board agreed with that recommendation Tuesday night.

Follow Mary Arata on twitter.com/maryearata.