The Townsend Police Department advises that Halloween will be celebrated in Townsend on Wednesday, Oct. 31, from 6-8 p.m. Chief Erving Marshall requests the following rules be observed to insure a safe and happy Halloween for all concerned:
* Trick or treat in your own neighborhood.
* Children and accompanying adults should wear light-colored clothing and carry a flashlight or some other alternative lighting.
* Motorists and pedestrians should use EXTREME CAUTION in areas where street lighting is poor or in case of inclement weather.
* Children should be allowed only to consume products that are in the original wrapping from the manufacturer.
* Parents should make certain that all costumes are nonflammable and provide adequate ventilation and visibility.
* Parents should know where their children are and what they are doing.
* Trick-or-treaters should be accompanied by an adult.
* Report any suspicious behavior to the local police immediately.
Halloween is a great time of excitement for children who oftentimes forget the dangers present along our streets while they trick-or-treat. By going slow, paying attention and working together, we can insure a safe and happy Halloween for all.